Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Postholer

email from trail?

Here's the spot for all of you aspiring CDT enthusiasts. You're a tough breed, hiking one of the most untamed trails in the country.

email from trail?

Postby Laura Babcock » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:46 pm

What device are people using to update their journal via email? Blackberry? Pocketmail? I used pocketmail before, but how does a blackberry work? Is there any way to update from the trail?
Laura
Laura Babcock

Re: email from trail?

Postby postholer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:22 pm

What device are people using to update their journal via email? Blackberry? Pocketmail? I used pocketmail before, but how does a blackberry work? Is there any way to update from the trail?
Laura

Yes! Internet enabled smartphones as well.

The hiker known as Retro kept her fine PCT journal last year using a Blackberry. It had a camera and she updated with a photo as well:

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?event_id=179

A Blackberry works using 'cellular' technology, anywhere you have cell reception you can send an email (update your journal).

Using an internet enabled smartphone is also an option. The hiker known as Gadget kept his journal that way:

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?event_id=259

...using the mobile version of the postholer site:

http://postholer.com/mobi

And of course you can use Pocketmail to update your journal. Just fire off your entrys when you get near a phone during town stops.

You've have lots 'o ways to update your journal remotely. Hope that helps!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Ellie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:55 pm

Postholer is too kind :) . The BB worked great for me on the PCT, especially with the capabilities of this site. I will be using it this year on the CDT.
Ellie

Elaborate

Postby Ellie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi Laura

I guess I could probably be a little more helpful. Specifically, I used the BB Curve. I would type up the journal at night, and choose one of the pictures I had taken during the day to attach to it. I could send the entry using a unique identifier number from postholer, to send the entry to my journal. It was great not to have to search for a computer.

My service provider was Verizon, and with the exception of the Sierras and northern WA, I had pretty good service.

I started with a Solar charger, but ended up just using a back-up battery (only about 2 oz), and I'll be doing the same thing for the CDT. They usually last 3-4 days depending on usage. Since sections will be longer on the CDT, I will probably carry 2 back-ups. I typically only use the phone in towns, but I write on it a lot. The phone will definitely use more battery than journaling or e-mail.
Ellie

Postby SunnyWalker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:31 pm

I am going to try a Peek Pronto Device. Cheaper than carrying a smart cell phone. Unlimited email, text. And can receive weather reports for my location. Service is now with T Mobile and is only $20.00 a month. I found this on Amazaon.Com
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Postby SunnyWalker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:05 pm

For anyone who does not know the Peek device I mentioned is a no go. No service. Won't work anywhere, nada, nilch, no. :(
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Return to Continental Divide Trail